- We have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and shared the results with staff and families.
- We have cleaning, hand- washing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance.
- We have taken all reasonable steps to help people work from home.
- We have taken all reasonable steps to help staff maintain a two metre distance in school.
- Where people cannot be two metres apart, we have done everything practical to manage transmission.
What else have we done so far?
We have remained open throughout lockdown or vulnerable pupils. More information on what this looked like can be found below. We called this Phase I. This was initially based on the primary site for around five pupils. As lockdown was eased, we sought views of families, staff, unions and governors to agree a plan to increase pupil numbers, and open to all pupils able to return. The contributions from these groups were included in our whole school risk assessment and recovery plan. On 8 June we added provision on the secondary site and had 13 pupils in total (15% of the school).
Governors met on 8 June to consider the risk assessment and the views of families, staff, unions and school leaders. After careful consideration of scientific information, staff from 22 June they agreed to move to Phase II on 21 June. Governors then met again on 18 June to reflect on the latest information and to make the final decision on whether to proceed.
Phase II opened to all pupils whose parents wished to send them in. After contacting every family, 40 pupils (45%) returned for the end of the summer term.
In order to practice safe social distancing we limited numbers to 50% onsite at any one time. Therefore provision was part time. Key stages were in on different days to minimise the possible spread of the virus should someone develop symptoms. Class teams were onsite only when their key stage was in, therefore for two days per week. This was also to restrict the number of people onsite, and to limit the number of times people need to leave their homes. In this way, we reduced the risk of the virus entering our community whilst enabling pupils to start to return to school.
The headteacher and school leaders will continue to check government advice and scientific guidance daily. All staff are strongly advised to do the same. This is so that we all stay up to date, and can respond swiftly to any changes or increased risk. The headteacher is in daily contact with the LA and other special heads to share practice and intelligence on the COVID-19 situation. The headteacher will update the chair of governors weekly. Governors will also be keeping in touch with staff about how they are coping at this time.
What is happening in September?
At the beginning of the autumn term we will move Phase III. This will be full time and all (100%) pupils will be expected to attend unless there is a particular reason this is not possible, which needs to be agreed by the headteacher.
For this phase, each department (primary and secondary) will be a ‘bubble’. This means that staff and pupils will not mix outside of their department, and will avoid mixing between classes unless it is absolutely necessary for the education of the pupils.
We will try to avoid teaching staff or TAs will work across sites to minimise risk.
Where possible, transport should keep children from different bubbles separate.
There will be no visitors to either site beyond those that are absolutely necessary for the wellbeing of the pupils.
Inclusion and dual placements will take place with a risk assessment that is agreed by all parties.
There will be no hydrotherapy, but we will keep this under review.
Wherever possible, meetings, PPA and work that can take place off-site, should be done remotely.
The after school club will be paired back. This is to minimise pupils and staff from different classes and departments mixing.
There will be some staff, for example leadership, outreach and admin staff, who will be on the ‘fringe’. This means that they will not be part of the bubble, and so should adhere to stringent social distancing when at school. Where this is not possible, full PPE should be worn. These staff may move between sites.
A bubble may have to isolate for 14 days if someone within the bubble tests positive for COVID-19. The whole school would isolate if told to go into local or micro lockdown.
In preparation for any or all pupils isolating we will work to further develop the use of technology and remote learning whilst pupils and staff are back on site. Teachers and other professionals will write remote learning plans to prepare for this. Leaders will write a contingency plan to prepare for all or some of the school community having to isolate.
Phase IV is a return for all pupils and staff for the whole week with free movement between departments. Visitors will be allowed on site, and pupils will have access to the full range of enrichment opportunities provided by going out into the community. It is not clear yet when we might expect to be at Phase IV because this will be led by government guidelines and the national pandemic situation.
|Virtual Cloudesley Leaflet - May 2020.pdf||Download|
|Islington Schools Covid-19 Risk Assessment - Richard Cloudesley School.pdf||Download|
|Staff Risk Assessment.docx||Download|
|Returning to school - parent brochure 2020-07-14 15_22_58.pdf||Download|
|Returning to school handbook - V3.3 (PDF).pdf||Download|